Located on the edge of San Francisco's downtown at the end of Pier 9, the Bar Pilots Station House is surrounded on three sides by water and has a 180-degree view of the Bay.
Retaining the existing circa 1932 industrial shed, the refurbished Station House was conceived of as a building within a building. Maintaining and exposing the restored elements—concrete walls, corrugated galvanized steel panels, steel trusses, and steel sash windows—was integral to the design.
The Bar Pilots guide ships in and out of the Golden Gate. These headquarters includes dispatch and chart rooms, offices and meeting rooms, as well as mooring and maintenance facilities for five pilot boats. And as the pilots are on duty for seven days at a stretch, kitchen and dining facilities, bunk rooms, a gym with locker and steam rooms, a library, and recreation areas were included.